xsl-list

RE: Inline Hyperlink

2003-04-26 14:06:21
Those &gt;, &lt; expressions happened when I typed > and < into the xmlspy
StyleSheet Designer. Mea culpa!

I also need to add properties, such as target and title, based on elements
defined in the schema and entered into the xml source along with the link
address. Can these be added within the Designer (I could not find a way), or
must this be done externally?

Also, from the literature, it appears that some XLINK properties should be
defined:

xlink:type="simple"
xlink:href="(URL)"

I removed them and my test link still worked. Are they required? Is it
safer? Perhaps include them in the style sheet?

jwc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Michael Kay
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 12:58 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Inline Hyperlink

Just when I am beginning to have a comfort level in xml/xslt,
another issue appears. My inline hyperlink code is returning
the following text in my browser, instead of an active link:

The xslt formatting is:

    <xsl:template match="n1:TextHyperLink">
        &lt;a href=<xsl:for-each select="n1:hlAddress">

Your comfort is entirely misplaced: you are suffering from a very basic
misunderstanding of the language. &lt; represents a less-than character;
it will be copied to the result file as a less-than character, which is
what you are seeing. If you want to generate an element in the result
tree, rather than text that looks like markup, then you need to do it
using elements in the stylesheet.

Remember that XSLT generates a result tree. Think nodes, not tags.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com