xsl-list

Re: That old song "document() with text-files"

2003-04-25 13:44:16
Alexander Johannesen wrote:
I've got a problem with importing data from text-files. Of course it
isn't supposed to work, but my question is more; does anyone have
any idea of how to solve the problem of reading documents that aren't
XML, as pure CDATA? Using document() is for XML docs only, but maybe some vendor has made some extension to this common problem? All I need
is a CDATA copy-of of a file; no parsing or anything, a pure copy.

The text-input files are generated elsewhere, and I don't have the option to add XML-wrapper to it, nor making the little HTML inside
XHTML.

I *could* use ENTITIES and define these, but filenames come in during
parsing in a variable $filename, so it can't work that way. Any ideas
anyone?

Perhaps not the most convenient, but if you can get an XInclude
processor, for example
  http://xincluder.sourceforge.net
you can use a three stage process
1. Transform the source into something containing
   <xi:include href="{$filename}" parse="text"/>
2. Run it through the XInclude processor, which pulls in the
  referenced text
3. Finish with another XSL transforamtion.
See also
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/

You can use Apache Cocoon to define a pipeline and run it
all in a single process:
  http://cocoon.apache.org

J.Pietschmann