xsl-list

RE: xsl-fo header problems

2003-04-23 07:16:41
Hi Ken.
(This is beginning to sound like a David C conversation,
him being precise, me v.loose :-)

Note on the bottom of page 205 "the marker's parent's total
area is called
a "qualifying area", and thus the marker is associated with
all of the
marker's parent's areas.

Yep. Up to either page or page-sequence or document.
No problem there.

Ummmmm ... it must still be a problem because when I speak of
"qualifying
area" I'm not talking about page or page-sequence or document ... I'm
talking about the scope encompassed by the parent of the
marker.  Those
areas that are put into the area trees of the pages.

Which is constrained by the retrieve-marker qualifications?
I think we are on the same wavelength there. I.e.
the 'select from this bunch of markers/areas associated with markers'
candidates.

The diagram on page 207
Mmm. No you lost me there. There's no statement of the qualifying
area for the diagram, and the 3 pages?? to the left (text says 4 btw)
dont' seem to align with the tree diagram?

I think you are lost because you are missing the concept of
the "qualifying
area".  That isn't page-oriented, it is area-oriented and is
only the size
of the areas of the parent of the marker.  All areas in the
qualifying area
are associated with the marker.

I think I get it. I must admit that areas leave me cold,
but I'm happy to associate them with content in the parent
of the marker.

Running subsection heads.  Look at the headers on my book and
you'll see
the subsection numbers ... these are rendered with the defaults
"first-starting-within-page" and "page-sequence".

Novel. You've picked up the numbering, rather than the section/
subsection content. I like that, but wouldn't have considered it.
p 202 goes back 3 paqes to pick up the number.

 There is
no way to do running subsection headings at transformation
time, it can
only be done with markers.

Yes. I'm OK with using content for this.

Then I guess I'm missing the lecture that went behind those notes :-)

:{)} Ah, but the objective of the handouts and the book are
to be useful
without the lecture based on learning what in the lecture was
useful to the
students to know.  I like to think I'm not writing these
books in a vacuum,
but in the context of learning what students need to learn.

OK then, must be me, it didn't stand alone for me,
but then I've been on one of your courses :-)

regards DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk