xsl-list

RE: Newted XML Documents

2003-04-22 08:51:36
Am having difficulty with the "include" statement in my schema definition
file.

First I created the schema using xmlspy. I then manually edited the .xsd
file and added a line with "&" and the included file (see below).
=================
<xs:schema targetNamespace="http://enw-ltd.com/namespace";
xmlns="http://enw-ltd.com/namespace";
xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; elementFormDefault="qualified"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
  &trisection.xsd;
  <xs:element name="foo">
  <etc....>
</xs:schema>
=================
When I then opened the file in xmlspy, the error sais "unable to show
schema: Text is unexpected at this location!", and the reference to the
include statement is highlighted.

Any ideas appreciated.

jwc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Gregory Propf
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 4:22 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Newted XML Documents

Jack Cane wrote:
Suppose I am writing a book of many chapters each of which may have
sections
and subsections. To keep things under control I propose to use included
files. Thus, the main file will have "book" as the root element and will
include chapter files.

Each chapter file will have "Chapter" as its root element, and will have
one
or more section files included in it.

Section files will have subsections, etc.

So, my vision is of a nested set of included files.

Will XML support this?

Yes,  This is how I did it.  I have a file called docroot.dtd like this

<!ELEMENT docroot (#PCDATA)>
<!ENTITY doc1 SYSTEM "foo.xml">
<!ENTITY doc2 SYSTEM "bar.xml">

I have an xml file called docroot.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE docroot SYSTEM "docroot.dtd">
<docroot>
&doc1;
&doc2;
</docroot>

The & is the include statement that refers to the entities defined in
the DTD.  I think there may be a way to do this with XSD stylesheets as
well.  I think that is the preferred way nowadays as dtds are considered
antiquated.  Still this method does work.

--
"Firing people can give you a pretty good buzz, but it's a poor, poor
substitute for killing.  I realize that now" - Dale Gribble