xsl-list

Re: I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?

2003-04-18 22:08:29
This should be possible with regular HTML form submission as well. Basically imagine that you have one big TEXTAREA in html with the XML in it, and a submit button. THe submit button will simply post whatever's in the textarea back the server.

On the server side the application that receives the data (could be XSLT ...) can simply pull the instance data out of that parameter and then do whatever it wants with it, write it to a file (e.g. using EXSLT document()) write it to a database, verify it, etc.

What you said about the way XForms will automatically handle updating the instance, is cool. Still it seems like the necessity for a user-agent implementation is going to make it a slow slog to get XForms into real world use.

FWIW, Kathy, I have some code that does XSLT forms from an RNG schema that's a work in progress but demonstrates what I'm talking about. Although it might be overkill as it's a fairly sophisticated round-tripping pipelined but it's all XSLT, no more than 800 lines... (which amazes me...) Anyway, it's not ready for public release yet but if you want to have a look email me personally.

simon