xsl-list

Re: Reducing memeory overheads with xsl

2003-04-17 01:59:19
Thanks Jarno, I'll give it a go :-)

Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: <Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 10:49 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Reducing memeory overheads with xsl

Hi,

I currently have the problem that my system is running out of
memeory when
processing my xslt.  I have set the max memory to 526MB (over
the 512 I
have) in a vain attempt to get the xsl-processor to use every ounce of
memory.  But it is still keeling over at the point when I
need to work on
about 40,000+ tags.

[snip]

The whole final file should only be around the 6MB mark, and
I'm creating it
in 1/2 a gig of ram, so I have a couple of questions.

1)  Why does it run out of memory if the file sizes are 1/64
of max memory?

Because the processor needs to build the XPath tree into memory, and
objects used in the three take up more space that tags in a file; ok, it may
not *have to* build the whole tree into memory, but most, if not all,
processors do). Still, that shouldn't be a problem, if the document is ~6MB.
Do you use xsl:sort, or generate RTFs in your stylesheet?

2)  Is there a way to generate the file in a more memory
efficient way??

STX <http://stx.sourceforge.net/>, or write your own SAX filter--XSLT
works for trasformations like the one mentioned above, but it might not be
the best hammer.

Cheers,

Jarno - VNV Nation: Genesis