xsl-list

RE: How can I do a string substitution for turning entities into html tags

2003-04-16 00:05:24
The process of converting markup to a tree structure is called parsing.

You need to parse this data twice. The first parse will convert the
string "&lt;x/&gt;" to the string "<x/>", and the second will convert
the string "<x/>" to an element node.

It's better, of course, not to generate such files in the first place,
but because a lot of people get themselves into this mess, Saxon has a
saxon:parse extension function to help you get out of it.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Bill Chmura
Sent: 15 April 2003 22:38
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] How can I do a string substitution for turning
entities into html tags

I am not sure if the subject line conveyed it, but I am not
really sure how to describe it at this point.

Here is an example of my xml data

<text>
   &lt;p&gt;Sometext here. Followed by more text&lt;/p&gt;
   &lt;p&gt;More text.&lt;/p&gt;
   &lt;li&gt;For more info see &lt;/li&gt;
</text>

Because of the way the program that generates it is handling
it, the html markup tags are converted to the entities for <
and >.  In my XSL I need to change them back to the specific
markup tags.

What is the best way to go about this?

Any advice or examples would be fantastic and much appreciated

Bill