xsl-list

RE: Variable creation and scoping

2003-04-15 12:45:44
[Andrew Kirkpatrick]

I want to create a number of variables from an external
document in order to
transform a different XML file, but the way that I thought to
accomplish
this was using for-each to cycle through the elements in the external
document doesn't accomplish what I want because the variables
seem to only
exist within the for-each.

It is not just "seem" - outside their scope they are __gone__. Luckily,
you can have a variable with a global scope.

Just create the variable as an immdiate child of the stylesheet element
(i.e., ouside of any template) , and it will be available anywhere in
the stylesheet.

Cheers,

Tom P