xsl-list

RE: XSL-FO: reset fo:page-number to 1 in each section o f . pdf, ba sed on XML input

2003-04-08 08:20:05
Thank you.  You asked "What is identical?"  In my XML, the name of every tag
below the top level <DOCUMENT> is identical: ITEM.  In a given
<fo:page-sequence>, I need to display the contents of selected <ITEM> tags,
based on the matching contents of their child <BIRD>.

In contrast to my "identically" named <ITEM> tags below the top level
<DOCUMENT> tag, your book's Appendix F for Chapter 10 shows uniquely named
tags below the top level <BOOK> tag: <frontmatter>, <bodymatter>, and
<rearmatter>, with unique children beneath them. (With humble apologies for
misnaming some of those tags in my previous email).

What is most challenging is: the input XML could contain 1 or more <ITEM>s
for just one kind of <BIRD>, or there could be an unspecified number of
<ITEM>s for 1000 kinds of <BIRD>s. So, I can't just write a pre-determined
number of <fo:page-sequence>s inside <fo:root> in my .xsl. How do I tell FO
that each <BIRD>'s group of <ITEM>s deserves its own page-sequence, starting
with Page 1?

My XML input is pre-sorted. Under <DOCUMENT>, all <ITEM>s come sorted by
<BIRD> content. I know the XSL can write the count of the number of <BIRD>s
into an XSL variable, and I can create an XSL  variable array containing
each <BIRD> name.

You have my deepest appreciation for your work and your consideration.