xsl-list

Re: find out if a element is empty

2003-04-08 02:36:47

  how can I use xsl:if to find out if a xml element is emty or not.

  And is it the same thing when its emty or its not there?

this is a FAQ and has been answerd on this list within the last day or
so

how can I use xsl:if to find out if a xml element is emty or not.
<xsl:if test="abc[not(node())]">
tests if the child abc element has any children.
If you conside <abc><!-- lkj --></abc> to be empty use something like *
instead of node(0 that does not match comments.

<xsl:if test="abc">
tests if <abc> is a child of the current node.

And is it the same thing when its emty or its not there?
No. <abc/> is an empty element that is here  which isn't the same as it
not being there.

David