xsl-list

Re: data vs. xml

2003-04-04 06:45:34
All,

I modified the xml generator to include <![CDATA[ ]]> elements.  However,  I
also found that some of my data contains RTF characters (i.e. \x093, \x096,
\xB0).  I believe this is a result of a copy and paste from MSWord into the
database program, and it is not an easy thing to fix as the database
contains tens of thousands of entries.  I also noticed that the XSLT
processor (instant saxon) still had difficulty accepting a <![CDATA[ ]]>
node that contained one of the above characters.  My understanding is that
the data found within the <![CDATA[ ]]> should be considered just that:
data.  However, the XSLT processor still seems to have difficulty with the
data.  Is this something abnormal to my particular XSLT processor, or is
this something that is standard across all XSLT processors?

Thanks,
Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Carlisle" <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:50 PM
Subject: RE: [xsl] data vs. xml

should be considered CDATA.
SGML has CDATA elements but XML has no such concept, so when you say
"should be considered CDATA" then the question is what do you mean if
you are using XML? The input document you showed is not well formed so
would have a fatal error from an XML parser before XSLT starts, so
clearly you can not do anything from within XSLT to process that.

David