xsl-list

Re: special characters

2003-05-23 08:44:15
Abbouh,

At 05:24 AM 5/23/2003, you wrote:
how can you make special characters(like é) appairs in a text
output file in xsl encoding?

By which you mean, how can you output entities such as é in place of the characters they represent, from an XSLT transformation?

Basically you have two choices: (a) acquire or build a serializer you can integrate into your XSL processor that will do the necessary mapping. (How this is done and how easy it is will depend on your processor. Look up James Clark's XT to see a facility for doing this.) Or (b), post-process with another routine to convert the characters.

If you choose (b), the post-process can even be done with XSLT, although it should be stressed that it's XSLT put specifically to the purpose of what is, in effect, a string-munging operation, and it will use disable-output-escaping, so won't be portable across all XSLT engines. (It also won't be as fast, efficient, or scalable as other approaches. It's also not impossible to roll this string-munging into your main transform, but it's a messy kluge, Not Recommended.)

I hope that helps, a little, anyway.

Cheers,
Wendell

    "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
     the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
     extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau