xsl-list

RE: XSLT 2.0 and external parameters: a string -> xsd:integer. How?

2003-05-20 12:53:34

I guess this is another angle on the typing questions that have been
floating around the list recently.

Code that worked with Saxon 7.4 (and that I think would work
in XSLT 1.0)
is now broken with Saxon 7.5.

How can I supply an external parameter to a Saxon 7.5
stylesheet which is
$number and has an integer value and get the XSLT processor
to treat it as
an xsd:integer. Well, I don't particularly want the parameter to be
xsd:integer but I assume I won't be able to do anything
numeric with it,
unless I make it explicitly numeric.

If you are passing parameters from a JAXP application, you can pass a
Java Integer.

If you want to do it from the command line, you can only pass strings;
you will have to convert the string to an integer within your own code
(this is exactly the same as writing a Java application that reads
arguments from the command line - they arrive as strings).

If I try to ignore types altogether Saxon 7.5 complains, not
surprisingly,
that it cannot compare xsd:string to xsd:integer. If there is
a way to
write a type-agnostic stylesheet to accept a parameter that
is intended to
be numeric it isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Write:

<xsl:param name="p" as="xs:string"/>
<xsl:variable name="p-as-int" as="xs:integer" select="xs:integer($p)"/>

So I made the input parameter xsd:string and created a new numeric
parameter using the xsd:integer() constructor function. Same
error message.

Then I tried making the input parameter xdt:untypedAtomic with the
xsd:integer() constructor function to create the second
parameter.  Same
error message.

Then I tried adding an as="xsd:integer". Same error message.

I'm afraid it's difficult to tell from this description exactly what you
did, and exactly what messages you got.

The Saxon 7.5 documentation indicates that "most" such functions are
supported. Is this one unsupported or am I missing a basic
trick somewhere?

I think you missed a trick somewhere, but from the description I can't
tell where.

Michael Kay