xsl-list

[saxon] unwanted line breaks in HTML output

2003-05-08 16:08:47

Is there a default line length that saxon uses to determine when to start a
new line in HTML output?

I'm outputting text inside an onClick tag attribute.  It typically looks
like this, which is what I want (one line per arguement):

<A HREF="javascript:void()" onClick="opendoc(
escape('Topic One  &#8212;  Maintaining Academic Advisement Setup Data'),
'htm/lsaa11.htm#d0e13039',
escape('Topic Two  &#8212;  Maintaining Academic Advisement Setup Data'),
'htm/lsaa11.htm#d0e13066',
escape('Topic Three  &#8212;  Using the Analysis Database to Create
Reports'),
'htm/lsaa13.htm#d0e15791',
escape('Topic Four  &#8212;  Using the Analysis Database to Create
Widgets'),
'htm/lsaa13.htm#d0e15816'
)">Database Tables Report page</A>

However, if the text inside an escape function is too long, the line
breaks, like this:

<A HREF="javascript:void()" onClick="opendoc(
escape('Topic One  &#8212;  This Is Too Much Text and It Breaks Here
And Causes Problems'),
'htm/lsaa11.htm#d0e13039'
)">Database Tables Report page</A>

and I end up with 'unterminated string constant' JavaScript errors in the
browser.  The limit seems to be about 150 characters on the line before it
gets broken at the nearest space.

I can get around this using translate( ) to insert &nbsp; in place of every
space in each string, but I'd rather not if it's avoidable.

Any ideas appreciated!

Mark Fletcher
PeopleSoft Language Engineering
925.694.3753