xsl-list

Re: Transforming portions of content or values

2003-05-07 01:28:04
It looks to me like it can all be done.

1.a You can use a substring search for the sections you want to replace with
the html tags (The best example of that I have found is in the XSLT
cookbook, and I think J. Tennisons books has simialr though I haven't got a
copy [skint student :-)])

1.b The attributes where you need to do this is the same as above, you just
need to do something like <xsl:variable name="string"
select=experiance/@company /> to get the text and then substring on the
variable.

2. Yes.  I have just never done it so I cant tell you how.  Sorry.

Cheers

Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "C Baines" <cbaines(_at_)westroadchurch(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
To: <XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:08 AM
Subject: [xsl] Transforming portions of content or values

Hi

1.    How do I transform a portion of text in an XML document so that I
can
nest it within hyperlink tags in an XSL stylesheet for HTML display, as
follows?

a.    Content:

<experience>Worked for XYZ Inc.</experience>

transformed to HTML (where [XYZ] = hyperlink to www. xyz.com):

Worked for  [XYZ] Inc.

b.    Values:

<experience dates="1990 - 2000" company="Worked for XYZ Inc."/>

transformed to HTML (where [XYZ] = hyperlink to www. xyz.com):

1990 - 2000    Worked for [XYZ] Inc.

2.    Which throws up another question: is it possible to insert a
non-breaking space between text during the transformation e.g. between the
2000 and the 'Worked' as above?

Thanks

Charles