xsl-list

Re: Is it possible to use css stylesheets in xsl fo

2003-05-05 19:29:34

Cross posted to www-xsl-fo list, where it belongs.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Ivs" <markivs2003(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>

I have lot of inline style information in my xsl fo
file.

This information belongs in an xsl:attribute-set.  They can be collected and
moved to an xsl:include file if you prefer that degree of separation.  They have
a mechanism for inheriting properties and can greatly clean up your style
regime.

I was wondering if it is possible to import a .css

No.  Do any commercial FO processors do this yet?  Any standalone packages?  FOP
does not.

By doing so my code will be much cleaner. Any help on
this is appreciated.

CSS2 is largely mapped onto a subset of XSL-FO.  It should be possible to define
your styles in terms of xsl:attribute-sets of formatting objects properties and
write a stylesheet to convert those to css styles.  This would streamline
maintenance of a single set of property definitions exposed in two separate
syntaxes.  Typically, though, there is not that much correspondence between the
web and print presentations.

hth,

Mike