xsl-list

Numbered Elements

2003-05-02 18:52:43
Still new to XML/XSLT, I am trying to get my arms around the numbering
methods in XML. Believe I have succeeded in auto-numbering figures,
equations, tables, etc. Now I need to refer to an element by number. From
textbooks and online reading I have the following:

An element Equation of type EquationType:
   <xs:complexType name="EquationType">
      <xs:element name="Expression" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="Target" type="xs:ID" use="required" />
   </xs:complexType>

An element xRef of type xRefType:
   <xs:complexType name="xRefType">
        <xs:sequence>
           <xs:element name="RefElemType" type="xs:string"/>
         <xs:element name="RefElemID" type="xs:IDREF"/>
        </xs:sequence>
   </xs:complexType>

The Transform template of xRef is
   <xsl:template match="etd:xRef">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="number[(_at_)Target='etd:RefElemID']" />
   </xsl:template>

Instead of the number of the equation having the indicated target value, the
result is a blank. There are no error messages.

Any help appreciated.

jwc