xsl-list

RE: Normalize-Space for a template

2003-05-02 11:34:41
[Karl J. Stubsjoen]
The following template create a URL.  One or more line
returns occur in the
source as well unwanted spaces.  I'm trying to figure out how to use
"normalize-space" to strip these unwanted spaces.  Here is what I have
tried:

    <xsl:template name="makeUrl">
    <xsl:param name="Display"/>
    <xsl:param name="url"/>
    <xsl:param name="Query"/>
     <a>
         <xsl:attribute name="href">
            <xsl:value-of select="$url"/>&amp;
         <xsl:value-of select="$Query"/>
            </xsl:attribute>
         <xsl:value-of select="$Display"/>
     </a>

    <!-- NORMALIZE THIS STUFF -->
  <xsl:value-of select='normalize-space(.)'/>

    </xsl:template>

It doesn't work.  Any ideas?

Kindly do not say that it does not work.  Say what you started with,
what you actually got, and what you want that is different from that.
For example, you may be seeing the whitespaces yo have embedded in the
stylesheet, but we cannot tell.

Also, do you not want a "?" rather than a "&" between url and query?
You could use attribute value templates for a more readable syntax -

</a>

Cheers,

Tom P