xsl-list

RE: Different Colors for Alternating Rows

2003-06-25 19:44:48
Juergen,

This looked like a nice approach, but it didn't offer any performance
improvement over what I had before, to my surprise. This is the line that seems
to be the killer:

<xsl:copy-of select="preceding-sibling::tr[1][td[a or @class]]" />

As an experiment, I tried substituting <xsl:copy-of select="*"> (knowing that
that would not work, of course), and the performance seemed to be several
hundred times faster. The tree searching seems to be what did me in to begin
with. If anyone has a solution that eliminates having to go backwards up the
tree structure, it would be great (my original thinking was that you could
increment a parameter only for those rows that were eligible for an alternating
color. This way you should have 0(n) performance, instead of 0(n squared). Any
help along a solution like that would be great.

Rechell

-----Original Message-----
From: Zink, Juergen [mailto:Juergen(_dot_)Zink(_at_)wuerttembergische(_dot_)de]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 2:27 AM
To: 'xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com'
Subject: RE: [xsl] Different Colors for Alternating Rows

Hi Rechell,

can you use the following simple iterative approach?

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:for-each select="table/tr[td[not(a or @class)]]">
    <!-- keep separator and header ... -->
    <xsl:copy-of select="preceding-sibling::tr[1][td[a or @class]]" />
    <xsl:variable name="attrClass">
      <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="position() mod 2">evenMedium</xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>oddMedium</xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:variable>
        <xsl:copy-of select="td[1]/node()|td[1]/@*"/>
        <xsl:copy-of select="td[1]/node()|td[1]/@*"/>