xsl-list

OT: Special Characters in NS 4

2003-06-17 16:32:08
Passin, Tom wrote:
[Rowlinson, Nicole SLGA]
Thanks for your replies.  The only thing I am unsure of is why numeric
entities like   worked in IE 5.5, but in IE 6 it must be
changed to
<xsl:text
disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;nbsp;</xsl:text>.  I know that
IE 6 is supposed to be more "compliant" but I'm not sure what
is wrong with
using the number code values.

This is not correct.  The character reference & # 160; __does__ produce
a non-breaking space in IE6 (I just tried it in service pack 1).  The
only reason there might be a problem in displaying is a character
encoding mismatch.  Not only that, it must be that the character
reference (& # 160;) must have been converted to an character character
as the html was created, because a numerical character reference in the
html file is independent of the encoding (at least, it is supposed to
be!).

The piece of junk known as Netscape 4 incorrectly uses the interpreted
encoding of the page as the basis for interpreting numeric character
references above 127. So if the encoding chosen for the intrepretation of the
document's bytes as characters is one that maps byte 160 to something other
than a no-break space character, and if the font supports it, then that's what
will render.

As you (sort of) noted, the correct behavior would be for the reference to be
interpreted as a Unicode code point, where 160 is always a no-break space.
This is not an issue in any modern browser.

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/browsers.html documents the Unicode support in
a fair number of browsers. Definitely check there for further info about these
kinds of bugs.

-Mike