xsl-list

RE: When does sort occur?

2003-06-13 03:32:02
The order in which an XSLT processor does things is not defined. But it
is defined that position() refers to the position in the sorted
sequence.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Ragulf Pickaxe
Sent: 13 June 2003 09:23
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] When does sort occur?

Hello all,

I know this has been said, but I can't find it among those
thousands of
questions about sorting.

If I apply a template with a sort, as:

<xsl:apply-templates select="node" mode="getmax">
  <xsl:sort select="@num" order="descending"
data-type="number"/> </xsl:apply-templates>

will the sorting occur during the select, before the matching
template is
called, so I can do:

<xsl:template match="node" mode="getmax">
  <!-- I want only the <node> element that has the @num with
the highest
numerical value -->
  <xsl:if test="position()=1"><xsl:value-of
select="."/></xsl:if> </xsl:template>

or will the sorting occur after all the nodes have been
processed in the
matching template?

I hope that the question is understandable.

Ragulf Pickaxe :)