xsl-list

Re: read/write in the same xml file

2003-06-09 11:22:52
 i think i need absolutely the same file,because in my application
i have to write for each paragraph its place in the output file (with
bits)
so at every writing text i have to add length(text) to old counter,
for this reason i decided to use a file compte.xml which will be
overwrited after each readind text.
the problem still exist if you use <redirect:close> between
reading an closing?

Lars Huttar a écrit :

yes,i'm literally trying to overwrite the file "compte.xml" at
the same time as i 'm reading it in

Operating systems will often lock a file that is being read,
so that it can't be written at the same time.
This make sense because otherwise you'd have race conditions,
where the file might get truncated or partially overwritten
before the reading is finished, so that the input could be
invalid.

my command line is:
java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN catalogue.xml -XSL
compte.xsl -OUT
compte.txt -TEXT -PARAM file_cnf compte.xml

for me in this stylesheet the input file and output file aren't as
important as  the extern file compte.xml
thanks

My solution would be, first move/rename the input file compte.xml
to a different filename, then run the stylesheet which writes
to compte.xml.  I suspect that will solve your problem.
(Obviously this will mean you'll need two parameters instead
of one, to your stylesheet, if you're going to continue
to use document() instead of the source XML document.)

Lars