xsl-list

FW: How to store a node in a local variable using if or when

2003-07-31 18:58:12
Hi

I would like to process information from a node that can come from two
different places in the XML tree. Because the processing is the same I
create a variable and with a choice element I will set the variable to
one of the two nodes. So I can figure out only two ways of doing it that
doesn't work. Here are the two examples:

First example use <xsl:value-of>:

<xsl:variable name="node"/>
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="condition1">
            <xsl:value-of select="/a/b/c"/>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:when test="condition2">
            <xsl:value-of select="/c"/>
        </xsl:when>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="$node">
    process
</xsl:for-each>

Will not work because <xsl:value-of> only selects strings not nodes. So
<xsl:variable name="node" select="path"/> is not the same as
<xsl:variable name="node"><xsl:value-of select="path"/></xsl:variable>

Second example use "select" attribute in variable:

<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="condition1">
        <xsl:variable name="node"  select="/a/b/c"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="condition2">
        <xsl:variable name="node"  select="/c"/>
    </xsl:when>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="$node">
    process
</xsl:for-each>

Will not work because variable "node" is out of scope.

Any ideas?