xsl-list

RE: dictating node processing order

2003-07-29 09:34:21
Hi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Nathan Shaw
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:28 PM
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] dictating node processing order

I am trying to allow an end user of an application to
have the ability to pass in which fields they would
like to see and in which order, as well as, what the
sort order should be, when they view the results page
of a search run against an LDAP server.

To accomplish this, I am shoving their desired fields
(which are ordered in the order in which they should
be displayed in the resulting XHTML document) and sort
order into the XML document so that I can pick them
out with my XSLT (this was chosen instead of passing
params into the parser for portability's sake).

(...)

However, when trying to output the desired fields in
the proper order, I am running into design problems.

This is what I am attempting now, but apparently
xsl:apply-templates needs an actual node set, not a string
representing a pointer to a node set.

Try this:
<xsl:template match="searchResult">
  <xsl:variable name="res" select="."/>
    <xsl:for-each
select="following-sibling::supplementaryData/display/displayField">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="$res/*[name()=current()]"/>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

(...)

Regards,