xsl-list

Re: Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...

2003-07-23 18:27:04
Mike writes:

Does this have *anything* to do with XSLT?  If not, it does not
belong on this list.

I'm sorry Mike. I read this particular thread:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200102/msg00825.html

and since it is similar in scope and no qualms were raised about it
then, I assumed asking this question to this list would be okay.

Please read up on character encoding, what a character reference is,
and what an entity reference is. You seem to be confused about them.

As for why the behavior changed when you changed JDKs, it's probably
because some code you haven't shown us is relying on a platform
default encoding somewhere.

As for why "?" or its bytewise equivalent in some encoding might
appear in an encoded byte stream or Unicode string, it's because
some codecs, such as Java's, will replace unencodable characters or
undecodable bytes with a question mark.

Is it possible to bypass this mechanism? I would like to pass a byte
into Java and not have it modified in anyway.

But, I *do* have an XSLT question to ask as and addendum. What is the
best way to drive the xml input of an XSLT formatter from inside a
java class?

For example, let us say that I have an XSLT stylesheet that is set up
to expect a certain format, and I have a java class whose data I would
like to have processed by said stylesheet. It seems a waste to make a
and then pass it into the transformer since it would be possible to
generate the SAX events from within the Java class.

Looking at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser, I notice the parse() function,
but those seem to be dealing with incoming streams and not events.

Thank you,
Elizabeth