xsl-list

RE: Displaying a combination of text and child nodes

2003-07-07 18:59:51
Thanks Lars
The *|text() worked.
Much appreciated.

Also, thanks for the hint with the attribute value template.  Much, much more
pleasant.

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Huttar [mailto:lars_huttar(_at_)sil(_dot_)org]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 July 2003 11:09 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Displaying a combination of text and child nodes

Karen,

The xml is (I have just pulled out a few lines):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<doxygen>
<compounddef>
<codelisting>
<programlisting>
      <codeline lineno="1">

The xsl I am using is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Code listing for a nominated function.  -->
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
      <xsl:template match="/">
                                      <xsl:for-each
select="doxygen/compounddef/programlisting/codeline">

For one thing, maybe this is just an
artifact of how you excerpted your XML, but the way you show it,
the path to <codeline> is
  /doxygen/compounddef/codelisting/programlisting/codeline
whereas your <xsl:foreach> says
   select="doxygen/compounddef/programlisting/codeline"
In other words, "codelisting/" is missing.

<xsl:for-each select="highlight">

This isn't what you asked about, but probably instead of the above
you want to use an Attribute Value Template:

Much more pleasant, isn't it?  :-)

Doesn't seem to matter what I do here, I can get the whole
text, ignoring sp elements, or I can get the first sp element, -->
                                                  <!-- or I
can get the first text element only, depending on what I do  -->
                                                  <!-- I have
tried xsl:for-each loops, I've tried matching templates, but
I still can't seem to get it to work.  -->

Did you try <xsl:for-each select="*|text()"> ?

* will select child element nodes, and text() will select child text
nodes. Unioned together with "|", you get both.
Or maybe you want <xsl:for-each select="sp|text()">.

Another alternative would be to use apply-templates:
 <xsl:apply-templates select="*|text()" />
Then you could create a template for processing <sp>s,
another for text nodes, another for <ref>s, etc.

(If you were trying <xsl:value-of ...> without a <xsl:for-each>,
that would be why you only got the first element or text node;
<xsl:value-of select="nodeset"/> converts only the *first* node
in nodeset into a string.)

HTH,
Lars