xsl-list

Re: Passing document fragments as nodsets

2003-07-07 03:21:36

  You said this in your reply

  "A quick scan through your stylesheet shows that you're using the
  content of the variable-binding elements quite a lot when you should
  be using the select attribute instead."

  I didn't quite understand what you ment by this. Do you mean in the template
  declaration or elswhere?

Jeni's message hasn't reached here yet, but she meant the same as I
meant when I wrote

  As is said most days on this list, if you use with-param or variable
  with a select expression rather than with content, it will be bound to
  a node set not a result tree fragment.

If you mean to go

<xsl:variable name="x" select="y"/>

don't go

<xsl:variable name="x">
 <xsl:copy-of select select="y"/>
</xsl:variable>

(and similarly xsl:param or xsl:with-param)

as it is a lot more to type, a lot more work for the XSLT stystem
(having to create a new tree with new nodes) and is a lot less useful as
it poduces a result tree fragment which without an extension function
can't be queried into with Xpath, only copied to the result, or used as
a string.

David