xsl-list

Re: Transforming the XSL-List archive into RSS 1.0

2003-07-03 10:40:58
Jimmy --

As I wrote to you off list:

the archive is created auto-magically by software that is out of my control.
Mulberry provides the labor and the $$$ to run XSL-List; the  actual mechanics
are done by a service called "BigList".  We use them because this is the lowest
cost way we could find to host a list as big and as active as XSL-List.
However, because we contract the list maintenance out, we do not have control
of the details of list administration and cannot change the format of the llist
archive.

I suggest that you use James Clark's SX (http://www.jclark.com/sp/sx.htm) or
Dave Ragett's HTML Tidy (http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/) to convert the
files you receive (or download from the archive) into XML, and work from there.

-- Tommie

From: "Jimmy Cerra" <jimbolist(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
To: <XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:41:54 -0400

I subscribe to the XSL digest; however, I often find that there are a
lot of messages that I ignore.  Since I use dial-up, the wasted
bandwidth contributes to a significant wait.

Furthermore I'm relatively new to XSL, so I decided to design a
stylesheet to transform the XSL-List archives into an RSS 1.0 file of
the last 12 or so hours (no descriptions; just titles and links in
sequential order by date) that I can automate.  The project would be
educational as well as useful, I figure.

However, when I looked at the source of the list, I noticed that the
pages are served as the SGML-flavor of HTML.  :-(  XSL can't really work
with this because of the unbalanced tags (<li>, <br>, etcetera).
However, the pages do validate as HTML 4.01 Strict.  How do I work
around the unfortunate format and convert it to sensible XML?

If there is no way, can I request that the list change the archives to
XHTML (or offer the XML-based format as an alternative)?

(Note that I'm using Saxon 7.6.)

--
Jimmy Cerra

] "XML is just syntax, and you can therefore
]  use it any way you like." - Michael Kay

B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com