xsl-list

RE: problem with variable and position()

2003-08-27 14:42:56
Hello Jarno and Michael, thanks for your quick response.
I still have troubles with this template, I realized I can't use a variable on
a match
expression and it is a bad practice to use a global one, re-wrote the template
but still
no good.
The input xhtml documet has several text nodes, one of them starts with the
word "Description", I should be able to select all the text nodes that have a
position
higher than that one and put it on a single description element.
The templates I rewrote are:
<xsl:template match="body">
     <!-- some templates here for the rest of the text nodes-->
     <xsl:element name="description">
                       <xsl:apply-templates
select="text()[starts-with(normalize-space
(),'Description')]"/>
     </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="text()[starts-with(normalize-space(),'Description')]">
                   <xsl:variable name="descPos" select="position()"/>
                   <xsl:apply-templates select="text()[position()>$descPos]"/>
</xsl:template>   and hoped the built in templates would work but the
<description> tag
won't get any value after the transformation...
tia, lizet

Mensaje citado por Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com:

Hi,

<xsl:template match="body">
                    <xsl:element name="description">
                       <xsl:apply-templates
select="text()[starts-with(normalize-space
(),'Description')]" mode="description"/>
                    </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template
match="text()[starts-with(normalize-space(),'Description')]"
mode="description">
                         <xsl:variable name="descPos"
select="position()"/>
                         <xsl:apply-templates
select="text()[position()>$descPos]"/>

</xsl:template>

This template could as well be simply

  <xsl:template match="text()" mode="description">
    <xsl:variable name="descPos" select="position()"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="text()[position()>$descPos]"/>
  </xsl:template>

unless you have multiple different templates that match text nodes in
"description"
mode.

<xsl:template match="text()[position()>$descPos]">
                              <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

And this should be

  <xsl:template match="text()">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
  </xsl:template>

or, you don't even need this, because the build-in template rule will take
care of it

the input documents. I tried to store the position of the
description text in the
descPos variable to use it later, but the above stylesheet
gives me an error of "Invalid
variable reference". How could I re-write the last template
so I avoid this error?

For one, the descPos variable will be out of scope in the other template --
see the
XSLT spec for variable scope. Also, variable references are not allowed in
match
patterns.

Cheers,

Jarno