xsl-list

Merging two xml files

2003-08-25 08:20:19
From: Patrick Martin <patrick(_dot_)martin(_at_)sungard(_dot_)com>
To: "'XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com'"
<XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Subject: Merging two xml files
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:04:23 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to merge two xml files, using a xsl stylesheet. Those files are
actually BEA Weblogic's configuration files (config.xml and a partial
config.xml), but I'd like the xsl script to be quite generic (avoid
hardcoding the element names and attributes).

Basically, the only thing I know about the files is that they have the same
root node.

For example, with the 2 following files:
File1.xml:
<root>
      <elt1 att1="a" att2="b">
              <subelt1 att1="b"/>
              <subelt1 att1="c"/>
      </elt1>
      <elt2 att1="d"/>
</root>

File2.xml:
<root>
      <elt1 att1="a" att2="b">
              <subelt1 att1="c"/>
              <subelt1 att1="d"/>
      </elt1>
      <elt1 att1="a" att2="d">
              <subelt1 att1="x"/>
      </elt1>
      <elt3 att1="e"/>
</root>

Should give something like:
<root>
      <elt1 att1="a" att2="b">
              <subelt1 att1="b"/>
              <subelt1 att1="c"/>
              <subelt1 att1="d"/>
      </elt1>
      <elt1 att1="a" att2="d">
              <subelt1 att1="x"/>
      </elt1>
      <elt2 att1="d"/>
      <elt3 att1="e"/>
</root>

So the following rules must be respected:
. Each element associated with its attribute is unique (we don't have two
<elt1 att1="a" att2="b">).
. If one element exists only in one of the file, it should  appear in the
output.

I am very new to xsl and tried to look on the web without finding exactly
what I want.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve that question?

Thank you,

Patrick

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message is
intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s)
named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or
an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

Message confidentiel : Les informations contenues dans ce message sont
destinees a un usage personnel et confidentiel du destinataire indique
ci-dessus. Si le lecteur de ce message n'est pas le destinataire prevu, ou
n'est pas une personne en charge de le delivrer au destinataire voulu, vous
etes par la presente informe que vous avez recu ce document par erreur, et
que tout examen, transmission, distribution ou copie de ce message est
totalement interdit. Si vous avez recu cette communication par erreur, nous
vous remercions de bien vouloir nous avertir immediatement par e-mail et de
detruire le message d'origine.