xsl-list

RE: Group and sort by group element occurrences

2003-08-19 00:44:03
As a long time reader, you should know that you will get a reply asking
you to post your code! We can't tell you what you're doing wrong unless
you show us what you're doing.

(Someone might post you a solution, but not me. That's not just because
I'm too busy to write code for people, it's because I don't think it's a
good way of learning. Your error might be a simple typo, or it might
reflect a deep misunderstanding of the concepts, and before I can give
you useful advice, I need to know which is the case.)

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Simerman, Joshua Michael
Sent: 19 August 2003 04:43
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Group and sort by group element occurrences

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have an xml doc that is the result of a keyword search,
which list the keyword, and all pages by id that have that
instance of the keyword. The output looks like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<docroot>
      <token>apply
              <pageid>1</pageid>
              <pageid>3</pageid>
              <pageid>84</pageid>
      </token>
      <token>international
              <pageid>3</pageid>
              <pageid>5</pageid>
              <pageid>84</pageid>
      </token>
              <token>financial aid
              <pageid>5</pageid>
              <pageid>84</pageid>
      </token>
</docroot>

I need to transform this this into a grouped and sorted list
of page id's, so that the instances of pageid that occur the
most frequently are first, and so that each pageid is listed
only once. The above xml would then look like this.

<docroot>
      <pageid>84</pageid>
      <pageid>3</pageid>
      <pageid>5</pageid>
      <pageid>1</pageid>
</docroot>

It seems like a fairly simple transform, but I just cant get
it to sort properly and then have only the unique page ids. I
just end up with a flat list of the original document, or
nothing at all.

Thanks,

Josh Simerman
Graduate Assistant, Web Developer
Systems & Accounting Graduate Programs
Indiana University, Kelley School of Business