xsl-list

Re: semantic xslt transformations

2003-08-12 10:26:49
Hi Nathan,
  Creating a map is a good idea. For e.g. you may
create a XML file "map.xml" which captures the mapping
information, something like below --

<map>
 <same what="name">
   <A>firstName</A>
   <A>fName</A>
   <A>nameFirst</A>
 </same>
 <!--
  ..other mappings
 -->
</map>

You can use *document() function* in your XSLT to read
your main XML and the mapping XML.

Another solution i can think is -- you may capture all
possible options(lets say for "first name") within
your XSLT with *or (|) statements*. Then you will not
need the mapping XML file.

Regards,
Mukul

--- Nathan Shaw <n8_shaw(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi all,

I am working on a project where I will be receiving
different xml documents that contain essentially the
same content and vary only slightly in nomenclature.

For example, one document uses <firstName>, while
another uses <fName>, while yet another uses
<nameFirst>. They all "mean" the same thing and have
the same data, but are expressed differently.

To avoid having to write a separate xslt
transformation for each document, I have been
looking
into creating a map that would tie together
differing
elements and attributes in the xml documents I
receive
to my end document's elements and attributes, thus
allowing me to only write one xslt transformation
using the map.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I have
seen
a presentation on it by Joshua Fox, but his method
uses middleware. I am looking for a pure xslt
solution
here.

Thanks all.

--Nathan