xsl-list

RE: jd.xslt bug (at least unexpected)?

2003-08-05 12:32:12
Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-
list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Michael Kay
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 12:41 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

That is exactly what I have. It has been a long time since I
have looked at xsl:output. Here is what I have (had):

  <xsl:output
    encoding="utf-8"
    indent="no"
    doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    cdata-section-elements="style"/>

I don't remember why I have it...

The odd thing about this xsl:output is that it doesn't specify the
method attribute. It's not easy to tell whether the stylesheet will
default to using XML or HTML output. I would recommend always specifying
the method attribute - it's good for documentation and debugging, and it
can actually help performance because the rules for selecting a default
are run-time rules rather than compile-time.

This is good to know. I have been handling it with java. It outputs to HTML
most of the time, though. I have added the method attribute.

Thanks,
-Rob

Michael Kay