xsl-list

RE: sorting preformance

2003-08-04 11:09:52
Generally speaking, when you use XSLT or any other language to process
the result of a database query, you should delegate as much of the
processing to the database engine as you can.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Mattison
Sent: 04 August 2003 18:20
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] sorting preformance

I've been doing some reports and wondering what experience
folks have had with the speed of using xsl:sort.  So far I
haven't observed any noticable difference between sorting in
the database query (putting the records in the order in them
xml) and letting xsl sort unorder records.  But so far I've
only dealt with relatively small number or records so I'm not
surprised I don't notice a difference.

What suggestions or rules of thumb do folks use when deciding
where to do their sorting?  As such things might matter the
xsl parser and databases are MSXML 4.0 and MS SQL respectively.

Mattison