xsl-list

Re: Problems selecting the right nodes.

2003-09-26 10:05:07
Thanks everyone for your help.

It seems that I made something unclear. The nodeset that I'm working with is a subset of my data. This adds a significant level of complexity to the problem. Micheal's suggestion of testing count(key(...)) != count(/*/branch) is great except that key returns too many elements since it takes in the whole document, not my subset.

This makes things more difficult. What I have, so far comes from Steven's suggestion (You'll notice that I added the region tag to demostrate the filtering):

   <xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="filtered-branches" select="branches/branch[region/@id ='region5']"/> <xsl:variable name="unique-services" select="/branches/branch/service[generate-id(.) = generate-id(key('service',@id))]"/> <xsl:variable name="filtered-unique-services" select="$unique-services[(_at_)id = $filtered-branches/service/@id]"/>
       <xsl:variable name="rtf-selectable-services">
           <xsl:apply-templates select="$filtered-unique-services">
<xsl:with-param name="branches" select="$filtered-branches"/>
           </xsl:apply-templates>
       </xsl:variable>
<!-- I had trouble where xalan:nodeset($rtf-selectable-services) returned only 1 node so I did this just to make sure I got the elements I wanted --> <xsl:variable name="selectable-services" select="xalan:nodeset($rtf-selectable-services)/descendant-or-self::service"/>
       <!-- ok do real work, now, counting is a good substitute -->
       <xsl:value-of select="count($selectable-services)"/>
   </xsl:template>
   <xsl:template match="service" mode="getselectable">
       <xsl:param name="branches"/>
       <xsl:if test="$branches[not(service/@id = current()/@href)]">
           <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
       </xsl:if>
   </xsl:template>

So this works. However, in my real problem, which this is a simplification of, I have two elements which I need to do this for. So I am beginning to wonder if its better to do this twice, which is a little messy already, or to take my filtered branches, call nodeset on those and then take Michael's suggestion. However, then I have the problem of changing the current node to be my filtered nodeset and keeping that variable around

Any more thoughts?

Adam

Michael Kay wrote:

But this is an O(n^2) solution and doesn't remove the duplicates...

Michael Kay