xsl-list

Re: Relation between Memory /Time Problem and OS ??

2003-09-20 00:45:39
My input file is of 6.09 MB and I ran the xsl on two different OS and was
surprised with the result. Here are the result.

Why should there be anything surprising?

Your two platforms were:

Time on Windows XP Desktop System with P3 Processor and 512 RAM

and

Time on Windows 2000 Server System with P3 Processor and 1.5 GB RAM

But you missed to provide very important data -- the CPU speed of the two
P3-s -- it can be quite different.

Also, the second platform has thrice the memory of platform 1.

Most probably on platform one the RAM was insufficient, therefore swapping
and thrashing occured.

On platform 2 the memory was three times more, there was no swapping, (the
CPU speed was probably faster) so it took dramatically less time to
complete.

Anyone who has encountered such discrepancy (atleast for me) or know the
reason for such behavior please throw some light on this issue.

As explained above, this is not discrepancy, but a logical fact.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"Dipesh Khakhkhar" <dkhakhkh(_at_)mailbox(_dot_)syr(_dot_)edu> wrote in message
Hi,

I have written some xsl, the snippet of which i have posted it with the
thread
"CallStack overflow error "

I am not sure whether this question will appear silly to many but I
observed
this situation.

My input file is of 6.09 MB and I ran the xsl on two different OS and was
surprised with the result. Here are the result.

Time on Windows XP Desktop System with P3 Processor and 512 RAM

Source document load time:     2198 milliseconds
Stylesheet document load time: 7.545 milliseconds
Stylesheet compile time:       18.70 milliseconds
Stylesheet execution time:     4379 milliseconds

Time on Windows 2000 Server System with P3 Processor and 1.5 GB RAM

Source document load time:     0 milliseconds
Stylesheet document load time: 27.01 milliseconds
Stylesheet compile time:       8.515 milliseconds
Stylesheet execution time:     0 milliseconds

I am using msxsl command line utility to run this.
Does msxsl depends on OS ? When i ran the same xsl on input xml file, it
ran
and gave me the output immediately whereas when i ran it on Windows 2000
server it took long time and then gave me output. And the timing result
were
as noted above.

When i ran a input file of 28 MB, i got Callstack overflow error on
Windows XP
system and on the server it ran fine but I have to kill the process
because it
was taking long time. It ran for 30 minutes and produced incomplete
desired
output. It didn't gave me callStack overflow error. Further I observed the
CPU
usage as zero for that process in the server when it was taking long time.
Is
is the lapse time of CPU ? Or Do i have to increae priority of this
process ?

Am i not able to figure out why this is happening ?

As pointed out, my code is inefficient but giving desired output. I am at
the
sametime writing efficent code using grouping to do the same but stuck at
few
places.

Anyone who has encountered such discrepancy (atleast for me) or know the
reason for such behavior please throw some light on this issue.

Eagerly waiting for reply.

Regards,
Dipesh