xsl-list

RE: how to: Conditionally call nested XSLs based on parameters or variables passed to it at a higher level?

2003-09-12 14:04:05
Abhishek,

If I understand you rightly, I think you might, in addition to exploring the options already described, consider whether, instead of passing parameters through your templates (which can be quite cumbersome to maintain, as you may be discovering), instead associate "parameter" values (they won't be xsl parameters) with higher-level wrapper nodes (sections or whatever) through some kind of "function" -- which would take the form, either of an XPath expression you can use at need when in your lower-level templates (such as <xsl:if test="ancestor::section/@type='chapter'">) or a lookup table you can consult, or a named template you can call, or a combination of these.

This is just because some problems that seem to call for passing templates down through the tree, to provide "state" to templates at lower levels, can sometimes be solved equally well by providing that state by other means (such as XPath queries and/or dynamic local variable assignments, both of which XSLT is very good at).

Am I making any sense?

Cheers,
Wendell