xsl-list

Re: Choice between Javascript/CSS:display:none and client-side XSLT

2003-09-10 00:48:39

Cas Tuyn wrote:

Now my question is which technique is easiest to implement and gives the best client-side performance: 1. Javascript that switches the display CSS property between "block" and "none" as seen in many automatic collapsing tree menus, see example:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/02/22/hierarchical_menus.html

This is really easy to implement and will work on most browsers. The DOM of the document though, will include data not to be presented.

2. the 'pure-XML approach' with XML and several different XSLTs, because I can guarantee I have IE6 or Moz1.4 as browsers. I have not seen any examples of this way and wonder if it is because it's too bleeding edge.

I dont consider it bleeding edge but that's just me. The problem here is browser compatibility. If you are only targeting Mozilish browsers and IE, Sarissa may be usefull:

http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/

--
Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr