xsl-list

Planning for a xml/xslt Website

2003-09-04 10:01:24
I've become convinced using xml, xslt, and css is the way I want to build Web sites. I'm looking for a few suggestions on best practices.

Background:
My server side varies depending on the site I might be working on. In some cases it's ColdFusionMX, others asp or php. The xml for a given page might come from an xml file, remote feed or a database query converted to an xml string on the fly. I will probably do the xslt transformation on the server because browser support is too iffy at this point.

Here is my question:
Each page of the site could potentially have a coldfusion or php file, and xml file and in some cases an xslt file and css file. I would make sure my pages share xslt and css style sheets. I know the whole point of using xslt and css is to build components of a site that can be reused, but the potential for exceptions always exist. So I have an xml file, a script (cfm, php, jsp or asp) file, and perhaps an xslt and css file for one page. Have I really maintaining my site and code easier? I've separated presentation from content so that helps a lot. But up to 4 files for one Web page? Is there a better way?