xsl-list

Re: XPath: selecting matching nodes in two node-sets

2003-10-20 05:12:48
Hi Richard,
 From what I understood from the problem description,
I constructed the following XML --

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<results>
   <keywords>
     <matches>1</matches>
     <matches>2</matches>
     <matches>3</matches>
   </keywords>
   <item>
     <matches>1</matches>
     <matches>2</matches>
   </item>
   <item>
    <matches>1</matches>
    <matches>2</matches>
    <matches>3</matches>
   </item>
   <item>
     <matches>1</matches>
     <matches>2</matches>
   </item>
   <item>
     <matches>1</matches>
     <matches>2</matches>
     <matches>3</matches>
   </item>
   <item>
     <matches>1</matches>
     <matches>2</matches>
     <matches>3</matches>
     <matches>4</matches>
   </item>
</results>

(I have taken the above XML, as a test case. The
contents of the XML may vary(depending what is wanted,
for the real problem); but I have tried to make the
XML, identical according to the problem description,
given by you.)

The following XSL *tries to demonstrate*, how to
compare the <item> nodes following the <keywords>
node, with the *children of <keywords> node*) --

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="text" version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/results">
     <xsl:variable name="key-words">
       <xsl:copy-of select="keywords/matches" />
     </xsl:variable>

     <xsl:for-each select="item">
        <xsl:variable name="item">
           <xsl:copy-of select="matches" />
        </xsl:variable>

        <xsl:if test="$key-words = $item">
           Position of Item node (which is identical
to 'keywords' node) <xsl:value-of select="position()"
/>
        </xsl:if>
     </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

After the desired comparison is performed, the
position of <item> node is printed, to get the
answer..

Hope, the above explanation is useful..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Richard Lewis <richard(_dot_)lewis(_at_)uea(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:
I have the following document:

<results>
      <keywords>
              <matches>...</matches>
      </keywords>
      <item>
              ...various elements...
              <matches>...</matches>
              <matches>...</matches>
      </item>
      <item>....</item>
</results>

(where <matches> elements contain the keywords
themselves, CDATA).

and what I need is an XPath expression which selects
all the <item>s which
have the same set of <matches /> elements as in the
<keywords> node.
(Note: there may be repetition of <matches />s in
<item>s but not in
<keywords>)

I've tried:
"//item[matches = //keywords/matches]"
but this selects <item>s where not all the
'//keywords/matches' elements are
present.

Cheers,
Richard