xsl-list

RE: Re: Should variable resolution be done at compile-time or run-time?

2003-10-18 23:47:23
A processor for a functional language may decide (and there
are many cases when this happens) to perform lazy evaluation.

Among other things lazy evaluation means not to report an
error, which does not actually affect the evaluation.

This is one reason why in XSLT 2.0 we have distinguished very clearly
between static errors and dynamic errors. If an error is defined as a
static error then the processor must report it, even if the code is
never executed. Referring to an undeclared variable is a static error in
XSLT 2.0.

However, I am surprised that any 1.0 processor should fail to report an
error on the example submitted, where the reference to the undeclared
(or out-of-scope) variable does actually appear to be evaluated.

Michael Kay