xsl-list

RE: Encoding problem !!

2003-10-17 07:56:07
Hi,

Thanks for replying.
The issue is processor engine i guess, the way a particular character set is
decoded. My code ran on the same input in XMLSPY but gave error in MSXSL.

I used the encoding format as ISO-8851
Then i changed it to UTF-8 and UTF_16 and it worked fine in MSXSL.

Here i got few interesting links to read about cross platform data trasfer.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/html/xmlencodings.asp

Anyway thanks for replying.

Regards
Dipesh

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:46:26 -0500
From: "SANWAL, ABHISHEK (HP-Houston)" <abhishek(_dot_)sanwal(_at_)hp(_dot_)com>
Subject: RE: [xsl] Encoding problem !!

I spent around a week on a similar issue. Of course I could not post it
here as it was a .NET MS specific issue not related EXACTLY to W3C-XSL
but nuances of parsers/xsl transformers. (Is that allowed here)

The Xml/Xsl, Text.Encoding and String & MemoryStream objects under .NET
have certain peculiarities where when I start with a UTF-8 document
(using XMLSpy for development) and translate I get a UTF-8 HTML.

When I run it through the .NET code the output is UTF-16.
Then when I reload some XML using string objects it is again UTF-16.

So I tried to enforce UTF-8 everywhere and had some luck and then had
more issues as listed below.

Some of the objects you cannot re-define or specify an ENODING
ie. The Encoding property is read-only. WHY? GO figure.
http://weblogs.asp.net/rmclaws/posts/22080.aspx

I did the same as the link and ensure that everything was UTF-8.

I hope that helps.

Abhishek Sanwal
HP - Houston Campus
abhishek(_dot_)sanwal(_at_)hp(_dot_)com