xsl-list

RE: Template to return XML

2003-10-17 00:51:26
Hi,

I need a template to return a subset of XML from the xml
source.  I'm trying
to populate a variable with this information.  How can I do this?
Example:

<A>
    <B>
        <ASDF/>
        <QWEA/>
        <FEASI/>
    </B>
    <C/>
</A>

So, a template that will return (as an example) <B> and its
subset of data.
Something like

<xsl:template name="get_subset_xml">
    .... select the <b> node
</xsl:template>

If you want get_subset_xml to return the *source nodes*, that isn't possible
with XSLT 1.0. You can create a copy of the nodes and return that as a RTF.

More importantly, how do I assign a variable to this new subset?
So:

<xsl:variable name="some_subset" select="get_subset_xml"/>

where $some_suset is:
    <B>
        <ASDF/>
        <QWEA/>
        <FEASI/>
    </B>

  <xsl:variable name="some_subset" select="/A/descendant::*"/>

but it's more than likely you want

  <xsl:variable name="some_subset" select="/A/B"/>

as the former the variable is bound to a set of nodes B, ASDF, QWEA, and FEASI,
whereas in the latter it's bound to just the B node and you can access the
child nodes by normal tree navigation.

Cheers,

Jarno - Razed In Black: Disintegration (The Cure cover)