xsl-list

Re: looping problem, <xsl: for-each>??

2003-10-08 17:54:54
Hi Wendell,
  I used
count(preceding::item[category=current()/category])+1
as you wrote (not preceding-sibling). But it was
generating 1,2,1,2 ..

  I would try the _2 pass solution_ and _node-set
based solution_ as you have explained.

Regards,
Mukul

--- Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 09:12 PM 10/7/2003, you wrote:
Hi Wendell,
 The syntax <xsl:value-of

select="count(preceding::item[category=current()/category])+1"/>
when placed at <!-- ?? --> in my XSL, produces
numbering 1,2,1,2 and not 1,2,3,4 !

Are you sure you're using the preceding:: axis, not
preceding-sibling?

I am also interested to know how the numbering
(1,2,3,4 ..) can be produced using
- a 2 pass solution
- using node-set extension

The two-pass solution would simply be:

pass 1: sort and create output
pass 2: number

The node-set-extension-based solution would be the
same, except that pass 1
would be bound to a variable, then that variable's
value (a
result-tree-fragment) changed to a node-set (in a
second variable
declaration); then you'd apply templates to that
node set to get the numbering.

I'd go into more detail but I'm kinda swamped at the
moment.... :->

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct
Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207
Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850