xsl-list

RE: parsing post script

2003-11-25 02:37:41

umm, I dont have that liberty. actually, that would have been blissful in
comparison to what i'm doing now. but i CANT, i dont have access to that.
So.. hehe.
anyways, i suppose that since the document format is fixed, i think the
current approach to rely on the positioning will help. Also i am not
interested in the binary info. whatsoever.
kr.

---------------------------------
The will to do, the soul to dare

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Michael
Muller-Hillebrand
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:45 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] parsing post script

On 25.11.2003 (13:09 Uhr +0530), Karthikeyan Ramnath wrote:

thanks dude, thats what I'm doing(more or less). I've
stripped all the font
and formatting info and converted the simple text into a
basic XML doc which
specifies the X,Y position for each element.
Next I hope to define a transform which will convert the absolute
coordinates into more meaningful numbers like the column
indices of a table
etc...
Any inputs in this regard will be more than welcome.

If you successfully extracted positioning data from the
PostScript, you are relying on a very special format, because
in the real world this data can be hidden in unlimited ways.
The same is true for string data: it can be encoded  and even
in the simplest environment non-ASCII characters will be
octal coded numbers. Next: The way those numbers relate to
certain glyphs (= letters of a given font) depends on the
encoding vector, which can be set up (= programmed) in
multiple ways as well...

Why can't you go back one step and work with the source of
the PostScript files, or use that source to include machine
parsable data (like comments) in the PostScript data?

- Michael

DISCLAIMER: This email is bound by the terms and conditions described at
http://www.subexgroup.com/mail-disclaimer.htm