xsl-list

RE: Why can't I use document() inside a template rule to match the template ?

2003-11-17 06:51:41
Since the two documents use different vocabularies, all your template
rules can match elements by name, and they don't need to specify which
document they expect to find those elements in.

If different documents contain overlapping vocabularies, then you can
use modes to distinguish which template rules are active for a given
call on xsl:apply-templates.

If you are really determined, you can write a template rule that only
applies to elements in a given document by writing:

<xsl:template match="e[generate-id(/) =
generate-id(document('a.xml'))]">

but it's probably grossly inefficient, and never necessary in practice.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Narender S chauhan
Sent: 17 November 2003 12:46
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Why can't I use document() inside a template
rule to match the template ?

Hi,
 I want to use document function in a template rule like
below in which primary XML and referenced XML through
document() function may be entirely
different:

<xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:apply-template select="document('Tes.xml')" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="document(Tes.xml)">      // Browser
throws error at
this point.
</xsl:template>

My question is, why can't I use document function in the
template rule or is there any alternative to such a problem.
A typical example would be as follows:
--->doc1.xml
<books>
      <book>
              <author>Graddy Booch</author>
              <title>UML User Guide</title>
      </book>
      <book>
              <author>Gamma</author>
              <title>Design Patterns</title>
      </book>
</books>

---> doc2.xml
<readers>
      <reader>
              <name>naren</name>
              <occupation>Software Engineer</occupation>
      </reader>
</readers>

---->doc.xsl
<?xml version='1.0' encoding="windows-1252"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="html" />

<xsl:template match="/">
                              <xsl:for-each
select="books/book/author">
                                      <xsl:value-of select="." />
                              </xsl:for-each>
                              <xsl:apply-templates
select="document('doc2.xml')" />
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="document('doc2.xml')">   // Browser
gives an error to
this
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>