xsl-list

RE: Select statement within HREF

2003-11-03 03:08:28
David,

Thanks for taking time to write me in detail.

I have two solutions for it

1)      Batch File
2)      Apache Cocoon

First soltuion, extremely boring and redundant ... It will copy the
style sheet in all folders and will also add PI as a text to xml
document

Once it is working, I will move to 2nd solution since in this way I will
be able to control the style on the server!

I will get back with apache cocoon questions shortly.

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: 31 October 2003 16:38
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Select statement within HREF

Why do you need the styling to be done on the client rather than on the
server?

If you do it on the server you can control which stylesheets are applied
to which files, without editing any of the files. Eg something like
apache cocoon.

If you do it on the client you probably need the PI on each file (how
else will the client know it is supposed to transform anything?) But you
don'tneed to copy teh stylesheet into each folder, just make sure that
the href in xml-stylesheet points to teh right place.

Given your description "When you click on F11" It seems you do want a
link so I don't understand your previous comments about inlining at all,
which seemed to imply that you wanted the result of transforming the
document F11  to be included in place in the result document for F1. If
that was what you wanted then the document() function is desugned to do
that. If you have a link then as usual on teh web the browser doesn't
remember any state, you make a new http request for a new document, so
the fact that the requesting document was styles with your stylesheet is
irrelevant, you need to tell the browser to style the new document,
hence the need for the PI. This is as it should be, you don't normally
expect pages to look different depending on where you came from. (I know
it's possible using session variables/cookies etc but it is normally
considered bad practice)

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew

This message has been scanned for all viruses by BTnet VirusScreen. The
service is delivered in partnership with MessageLabs.

This service does not scan any password protected or encrypted
attachments.

If you are interested in finding out more about the service, please
visit our website at
http://www.btignite.com/internetservices/btnet/products_virusscreen.htm