xsl-list

Re: summing up incrementally

2003-12-19 13:33:25
Paul Tremblay:

      I thought I was mistaken. But here is the quote:

       "One caveat about data conversion applications: today's XSLT
       processors all rely on holding the data in memory while the
       transformation is taking place. The tree structure in memory
       can be as much as ten times the original data size, so in
       practice, the limit on data size for an XSLT conversion is a
       few megabytes. Even at this size, a complex conversion can be
       quite time-consuming, it depends very much on the processing
       that you actually want to do."(p. 45. Kay, Michael, *XSLT 2nd
       edition. Programmer's Reference*: Arden House, Birmingham,
       Acock's Green, Canada, Wrox Press, 2001.)

Michael Kay:

      You may have read "a few" as meaning "1 or 2", but that's not what I
      wrote. I was suggesting the heuristic "if you've got a 64Mb machine
      don't try to process more than about 6Mb of source data."

For those interested in streaming data through XSLT processors, the following
link might be useful:

  http://www.aztecrider.com/bigxml/index.html

The link describes

  "a Java library that provides an object representation of a XML
  document designed to work with big XML documents. It is realized as a plugin
  the XSLT processor jd.xslt and can especially be used to transform such big
XML
  documents with XSLT."

The processor the quote above is talking about is jd.xslt,

http://www.aztecrider.com/xslt/

David Tolpin
http://davidashen.net/