xsl-list

RE: Xref numbering test

2003-12-17 01:49:25

Wendell:
<xsl:template match="step1|step2...">
  <xsl:variable name="currentId" select="@id"/>
  <xsl:for-each select="$steps">
    <xsl:value-of select="step[(_at_)id = $currentId]/@number"/>

1. This will only work when using XSLT 2.0, or a node-set extension
function, since ordinarily (in XSLT 1.0) you cannot iterate
over, or query
into, a result-tree-fragment this way.

True.  But there's no need to spell *everything* out is there?  Surely a
point in the right direction is better than a 'cut and paste' in the
long run...

2. Even so, how is it better than simply calculating the
number of each
step using the same <xsl:number count="step1|step2|..." ...
/> instruction,
where you need it?

<xsl:template match="step1|step2...">
   <xsl:variable name="currentId" select="@id"/>
   <xsl:for-each select="$steps">
     <xsl:value-of select="step[(_at_)id = $currentId]/@number"/>

could as easily be

<xsl:template match="step1|step2...">
   <xsl:number count="step1|step2....| " .../>

(Look ma, no variable.)

I recognise the element names and have worked on this kind of dtd for a
few years, so (I think) I know the requirements even if norma didn't
quite spell them out :)

I still stand by using variables in this situation, they really help
maintaining and debugging the process involved.

cheers
andrew