xsl-list

RE: fo:list-block problem

2003-12-15 11:22:47
At 2003-12-15 17:38 +0100, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]
<snip />

> This is not a problem with Antenna House ... XSL-FO 1.0 requires the
> list-item-label and list-item-body areas to be specified and not to grow
> based on content.
>
> >Or are there other ways to solve my issue?
>
> A side float that reflects the size of the list item label.

As a _cheat_ maybe, you could try specifying a really large
provisional-space (based upon the largest @number in the processed node-set)
on the list-block itself, and using a negative start-indent for the smaller
@number-s...

XSL-FO 1.0 Section 6.8.3 states that overlapping areas for the label and body are an error. I've noticed in some student's work before they attend my class that they often rely on the XSL-FO processor not to report this error condition as their lists regularly overlap, yet the specification does not state it is optional.

If your suggested negative body start-indent was big enough to overlap the label end-indent then you would (should) have an error reported by your processor.

..................... Ken

--
North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc